Wednesday 13 February 2013

Chapter seventy four


Jason

“Will we get to see it?” Jason asked, unable to keep the excitement out of his voice.

“Relax, Jason,” Daniela said. “Anyone would think that it was you who were pregnant.”

“I know, I’m just so excited for you!” Jason said. “We’re going to have a baby!”

I’m going to have a baby,” Daniela said. “And trust me, if you were the one who was faced with the concept of squeezing a human out of your vagina, you might not be as excited.”

“Daniela’s just been a bundle of joy since she found out the news.” Christiana announced to the small group around Daniela’s bed.

“Well, forgive me if I’m not jumping for joy over me being back in this room again, I don’t exactly have pleasant memories of the place.”

“But we have happy things around you now,” Aishani said, waving her hand to the monitor. “Pretty machines that show babies growing and absolutely no scalpels to be found.”

“Thankfully,” Christiana said. “I do not need a repeat performance of that whole thing again.”

“I have to admit, that is one incident I’m glad to have missed.” Jason said.

He reached for Daniela’s hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

“I just can’t wait for you to tell Duncan.” He said. “Make sure I am there for that one, I want to see his face.”

“He’s going to look absolutely terrified and then run for the hills.” Daniela said.

“For the last time,” Christiana said. “He loves kids and I’m pretty sure he loves you too.”

“Okay, well considering that he’s never said that to me before, I’m going to reserve judgement on that one.”

“Okay,” Aishani announced. “And we’re live. Of course there’s barely anything to see at this stage, but basically, that little splodge there is the baby. Congratulations Daniela, you are certifiably pregnant.”

Jason watched as Daniela stared at the screen, although he couldn’t work out what she was thinking. She seemed stunned but whether this was in a good way or a bad way, he couldn’t tell. He felt Daniela’s hand tighten around his and moved closer, stroking her arm.

“I am going to need everyone’s help.” She said in a quiet voice. “I mean it, if you think you’ve been pampering me before, that is nothing compared to what I reckon I’m going to be like.”

“Well, in anticipation of such feelings,” Christiana said. “I have booked you in with Claire in half an hour. She has no idea what has happened though, I figured that this was news you’d want to tell people yourself.”

And then Daniela’s gaze was on them both. “Yes please,” she said. “I don’t want anyone knowing yet, not until Duncan’s back and I can tell him myself. I figure it’s better coming from me rather than Robin and her clan.”

“Fair enough.” Jason said. “Ooh, what about Adam? Are you going to tell him?”

Daniela seemed to look to Christiana for the answer on that one.

“What?” Christiana said. “I’m not his keeper, telling him is your decision.”

“Yeah but, I haven’t seen him since… well… you know.”

“I told you so, by the way.” Jason chipped in.

“For the fifteenth time, stop gloating about that.” Christiana said to Jason and then turned to Daniela. “Look, as far as I’m concerned, I don’t see why everything can’t go back to the way they used to be. I’m not ignoring him, he’s the one who’s being all weird.”

“Yes, because he’s in love with you and you just stomped all over his heart.” Jason said.

“I didn’t stomp over his heart!” Christiana said. “It was a mistake, and I’ve tried to apologise but he won’t stay still long enough for me to get the sentence out!”

“I’ll talk to him,” Jason said. “Get him to stop being a child. Although, you did kind of screw him up.”

“Look, I know I was out of order. I thought that it was what I wanted too, the moment I realised what the repercussions were going to be, I was out of there!”

“I hate to break it to you, but that probably wasn’t the best reaction to have had.” Jason said.

“I am trying to make it better!” Christiana said. “But for the past couple of weeks, I haven't been able to get him anywhere near me!”

Somewhere behind them, Aishani’s phone went off. Aishani looked at them all confused, clearly not expecting it to make a noise and reached for it in her bag. She answered the call.

“Aishani…. Hey Craig… I’m sorry, what? Already?... Yes, I’m on it. Sure.”

She hung up, her face suddenly pale and met everyone else’s confused looks.

“It looks like you get to tell Duncan a lot sooner than you thought.” She said. “They’re in range, should be at the door within the next few hours.”

“You mean?” Daniela began.

Aishani nodded. “Craig just called it in, saw them hit the horizon.”

“But I thought they were going to be gone for another week yet.” Christiana said.

“Obviously it took them quicker than they thought.”

“And they’re all back?” Christiana asked.

“Craig couldn’t see, but they didn’t seem depleted in numbers.”

Jason felt Christiana breathe a sigh of relief and Daniela appear to tense up.

“And Duncan definitely likes kids?” She said.

“He adores them,” Christiana assured her. “You’re fine, he’s going to love hearing the news.”

No comments:

Post a Comment